4132 x 2743 px | 35 x 23,2 cm | 13,8 x 9,1 inches | 300dpi
21. Dezember 2010
Kelvin Way, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Set amidst some of the most spectacular urban scenery in Britain, Kelvin Way Bridge was designed in 1912, as Radnor Street Bridge, by Alexander Beith McDonald , the City Engineer, and spans the River Kelvin in Kelvingrove Park. It is the only bridge in the city to feature figurative, bronze sculpture groups as its principal ornament. The sculpture scheme was the subject of an open competition held in 1914, which was assessed by Sir George Frampton , who had already overseen the selection of the sculpture for the facades of the nearby Kelvingrove Art Gallery. The sculptor selected to produce the groups was the Australian born, Paul Raphael Montford , whose London studio had become noted for its production of dynamic public statues and architectural sculpture. The competition drew twenty eight entries from all over Britain, its runners-up being Glasgow's Alexander Proudfoot and London's Richard Garbe, who each received a premium of £50 for their work.