Constructed around a central post so that it can be turned to face into the wind, this impressive postmill was built in the 18th century and is the only complete windmill left in Bedfordshire. The mill operated commercially, mostly grinding cattle feed, until 1939. It was purchased and restored in 1951 by Bedfordshire County Council, as part of the County's contribution to the Festival of Britain. Stevington Mill was probably the last windmill in Britain working with four common (cloth covered) sails, which were replaced in 1958 and again in 2004, the latter after a seven year absence. the sails are turned periodically and the machinery, though requiring constant maintenance, is in rough working order.