The ultra-rare Ferrari 512M, also known as Chassis 1002, has taken part in some of the world's biggest races, including the 1970 and 1971 24 Hours of Le Mans. The Ferrari factory first sold the 12 cylinder, five-litre sports racing machine to the Escuderia Montjuich in April 1970. The Escuderia was founded by four wealthy Catalan gentleman drivers in the mid-1960s: Enrique Coma-Cros, Félix Muñoz, José Juncadella and Juan Fernández. The 512 model was Ferrari's aggressive response to Porsche's emerging dominance in sports car racing in the late 1960s. Dominique Pascal, in his book Ferrari at Le Mans, explains that 'the 512s were created in less than nine months to try and counteract the striking superiority of the Porsche 917s. 'For the 1970 Le Mans, Ferrari lined up no fewer than twelve 512s, official and non-official,' he said. Following its tenure with the Escuderia Montjuich, the Ferrari found its way directly to new owner, Robert Horne in October 1974. Mr Horne, a British man who had an eye for a classic car and a noted collector of cold war jets, acquired 1002 after seeing it during a trip to Mantua, Italy. In 1977, he set a British land speed record in the vehicle after hitting a staggering 192mph over a flying mile at RAF Fairford. He later sent the 512 to well-known marque specialist, Bob Houghton of Greypaul Motors, for remedial works. It subsequently has been prepared and lovingly maintained by Mr Houghton to this day. On its website, Classic car specialists Fiskens – which has now acquired the car - describes the Ferrari as representing 'a once in a lifetime opportunity to acquire a truly exceptional and seriously important 'time capsule' condition sports racing prototype'. Ferrari 512 S is the designation for 25 sports cars built in 1969–70, with five-litre 12-cylinder ("512") engines, related to the Ferrari P sports prototypes.