People In The Park: A group of elderly people sit admiring the beauty of the rose gardens in Sheffiels's Botanical Gardens,Park. Sheffield Botanical Gardens cover 19 acres and were first opened in 1836. Originally designed by Robert Marnock in the Gardenesque style, the site now has fifteen different garden areas featuring collections of plants from all over the world, including Mediterranean, Asian, American prairie-style, woodland and rock-and-water plantings. The National Collections of Weigela and Diervilla are sited here. The Gardens contain several listed buildings including the restored Grade II* listed curvilinear Glass Pavilions, some of the earliest ever built, which were officially re-opened by HRH The Prince of Wales on 1 September 2003.In 1833 the Sheffield Botanical and Horticultural Society was formed to promote both healthy recreation and self education, through the development of a botanical garden. A period of fundraising followed and the Gardens were finally opened on the 29th and 30th June, and 4th and 5th July, 1836, when more than 12,000 visited. The Gardens were only open to the general public on four Gala days per year; otherwise admission was limited to shareholders and annual subscribers. General free admission only occurred after the Town Trust assumed control of the Gardens in 1898.
with our download packs
Pre-pay for multiple images and download on demand.
Dieses Bild steht nicht mehr zum Verkauf. Es wurde zuvor unter einer Lizenz zur Mehrfachnutzung, die noch läuft, gekauft. Sie können es nicht unter einer neuen Lizenz kaufen oder herunterladen. Mit einem Klick auf OK bestätigen Sie, dass dieses Bild nur der laufenden Lizenz entsprechend genutzt wird.